Welcome to High Flight Adventures! highflight.ca

HEY!!! this blog is about flying, and having fun... I want to express to our former campers, and our future campers how much fun aviation is!!!! "Skidmk" (pronounced skid mark, don't ask)


Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Yes, you can build your own airplane

It was not that long ago when I didn't know how to fly or that a person could actually build their own airplane. I always loved watching and riding in airplanes. One day I finally decided that I would learn how to fly and so the saga began.

I worked hard and studied a lot to get my pilots license. Once I had that I realized that I wanted my own plane. Not just any plane but one that would go fast, let me do some aerobatics and one that I would be able to fix myself. The only way to do all this was to build my own plane. I did some research and found a company called Van's aircraft that made a kit that I could buy and assemble in my own garage. I ordered one the minute I made my final decision.

I was really excited when the parts arrived, then, I opened up the plans. I had never seen drawings like these before. There was so much information on every page that it all looked totally overwhelming to me. What had I gotten myself into? How would I be able to build this airplane? I realized that I didn't even know how to use some of the tools that I had bought. Did I make a mistake?

Through my research I learned that there were a lot of people who liked airplanes just like me. I started calling and talking to them and getting advice. The internet also had lots of good information. Soon I was working on the plane...I was actually starting to build my own plane! Sometimes a giant project like this can seem daunting but someone said "it's like a mouse eating an elephant" you just have to do a little bit at a time and before you know it you will be done. They were right. What originally seemed impossible became possible very quickly.
Here a pic of me with the tail half way built

I learned about metal work, wiring, installing avionics, engines and fuel systems, paperwork, and many more things. I met so many great friends along the way too. When I was finally done I had to decide on a paint job. As a young boy I had a book of fighter planes from WWII. I always love the P-40's which had a big mean mouth painted on the front that made them look like sharks. Lots of people told me that I was silly to make my plane look like that but I decided that it was mine and I didn't want it to look like everybody else's plain old plane. In a way you could say this plane is from my boyhood dreams.

If you dream of doing something special then do your best to make your dreams come true. I set my mind to this and I was a able to find the time, skills, and money to make it happen. I couldn't be happier. In the end I have a great plane that makes me happy but, even more importantly, I also have a whole bunch of new friends who share the same passion for flying as me.

No comments: