Welcome to High Flight Adventures! highflight.ca

HEY!!! this blog is about flying, and having fun... I want to express to our former campers, and our future campers how much fun aviation is!!!! "Skidmk" (pronounced skid mark, don't ask)


Saturday, November 1, 2008

So how come you bought a Nanchang?


Hi gang,,

I get this question a lot. "Why did you buy a Nanchang?" or... "why would you buy a Chinese airplane"?

Well,, these are good questions. I've always wanted a "warbird", but who can afford a P51, or a Spitfire. These machines are expensive to acquire, and expensive to operate. So I opted for the "poor man's warbird". As gas prices go up, we are now referring to them as the "smart man's warbird" :) Now the Nanchang isn't exactly cheap, but it is affordable. The Chinese designed this plane in the 50's and it is used (still today) as the primary trainer for their airforce. The plane is very robust, easy to maintain, and an absolute pleasure to fly. Just don't lick the paint, LOL!

I went about acquiring my "Chang" in a round about manner. Initially I couldn't really afford one so I thought I would buy and build an RV8 I figured I would build it, then fly it, then sell it and make enough profit to buy a Nanchang. Well that didn't work, I soon figured out I was more of a flyer than a builder. Its not easy building an airplane, but I figured I was in, and I had to finish her. It was gonna take me about 3 years. And lots of cash, cause it seemed everything I built had to be rebuilt. (only for the first little while, I did say its not easy)


As most of you know I'm an Air Traffic Controller in Ottawa, and I got a wonderful opportunity to be the "Air Boss" at the Classic Air Rally put on by Flight works. (www.flightworks.ca)..... okay, okay,,, you're thinking whats this got to do with the Chang?

I'm working at the Air Rally in the summer of 07 when along comes a beautiful Red Nanchang owned by Michel Cote and flown by Dan Fortin.
Well, being the "Air Boss" I got to assist with Pilot briefings and I met Dan Fortin. Well Dan invited me to sit in his airplane. He did warn me that if I sat in it, I would want to go flying. "Bah!!, I'll pay your gas if that's the case and we'll go flying" was my reply. Well, I sat in it, I asked lots of questions, made airplane noises and had a great time checking out his plane. Guess what? I had to go flying in it!! Dan warned me, "if you go flying in it, you will buy one" I replied "BAH!, I've got a plane I'm building and I won't buy anything else or Mrs. Skidmk will kill me"

We went flying. Dan arranged to have a friend in a second Nanchang to come along for formation flying. (the second plane was for sale!). Here we are doing some formation work just North of Montreal.
Well, after about an hour of aerobatics, and formation etc etc. we landed,, I literally sat in the back seat of what was to become my airplane for 10 minutes, shaking my head and mumbling "this is gonna cost me" and guess what? I had to have her!!... sooo,,, I listed my RV8 project for sale and bought FXMI! What a blast its as great as I thought it would be.

I finished my FAST formation "rating" in October with it, and I'm now approved to do formation flying in Airshows if I want.

But that's another storey for another day!

cheers

Skidmk

No comments: